This is a 2-day hands-on interactive course that explores architecture analysis using the Solution Architecture Review Method in detail.
Day One introduces basic concepts and walks through a simple example, with participants building a working example through the day.
Day Two builds on the basic understanding to add more advanced concepts, such as stakeholder perspectives, financial and non-financial benefits and cost benefit analysis. It looks at how a standard quality model can be extended to accommodate business-specific capabilities, or alternative approaches such as the Perspective Based Architecture Method. The course concludes with a look at a more detailed case study drawn from a real-world evaluation of alternative architectures for a business system.
The course is punctuated with exercises conducted in small groups. Case studies for use in the exercises are provided, but participants can alternatively choose to bring along real examples from their work for development during the two days. They should be prepared to show these to others, contributing to the shared learning experience of all participants.
- Day 1
- Welcome and Introductions
- What do we use architecture descriptions for?
- How do we describe architectures?
- Architecture Requirements and Decisions
- Architecturally Significant Requirements
- Architecturally Significant Decisions
- Quality Attributes
- Evaluating Architecture
- Creating the context in SARM
- EXERCISE – creating a context
- Analysing an architecture with its context
- EXERCISE – develop candidate architectures and conduct an analysis
- PLAYBACK – group playbacks and discussion
- Summary and Day 1 wrap up
- Day 2
- Welcome and reflections on day 1
- Adding stakeholder perspectives
- EXERCISE – add stakeholder perspectives
- PLAYBACK – short group playbacks and discussion
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- EXERCISE – add cost benefit analysis
- Revisiting the Quality Model
- EXERCISE – explore a real world case study
- Course summary and conclusions
- Actions, thoughts and feedback
An outline of the course and example schedule can be downloaded here.